Mold Removal vs. Mold Remdiation
Interesting Fact! In the Mesa AZ area, On average, there are about the same number of searches per month on Google for "mold removal" and "mold remediation." (Around 20) As marketers with SERVPRO of North Central Mesa, Kevin and I sometimes get asked what the difference is between "mold removal" and "mold remediation." The answer is quite simple. They are pretty much the same thing.
In reality, it is nearly impossible to remove all mold in a particular area. That's not a bad thing. Mold in and of itself is not bad as we generally have it thought out in our heads. For example, Some molds are used to make some delicious types of cheese. Mold generally becomes a problem when it starts to grow on surfaces inside buildings. But outdoors, we encounter mold spores almost on a continual basis.
Inside exposure to mold is most dangerous to small children, those with severe respiratory issues, and those with weakened immune systems (for example someone receiving chemotherapy to treat cancer.) It should also be noted, that in some cases exposure to mold can lead to the development of asthma.
According to the American Industrial Hygiene Association, the three main contributing factors to mold growth are humidity, temperature, and poor ventilation.
The 5 best way to avoid the development of mold are (Better Homes and Gardens):
- Use dehumidifiers, fans, and open windows to help reduce the moisture in your home. Be especially vigilant during hot, humid months.
- Fix plumbing leaks as soon as possible.
- Do what you can to prevent rainwater from seeping into your home. Check potential problem areas regularly.
- Clean the fabrics in your home routinely and keep them dry.
- Store items in dry, well-ventilated areas.